Want to have me as your Beachbody coach? Click here! It's free! There are all kinds of awesome tools to help you reach your fitness goals - even if you don't use Beachbody products!

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Life's A Roller Coaster

Sometimes life just doesn't go as planned. I learned that the hard way this past week. (Not that I didn't know it before...so I guess technically I re-learned it.) Our plan was to go down to Albuquerque for a few days because Jon was scheduled for a vasectomy and I didn't want to make him go by himself. He was supposed to have surgery on Monday and then we'd drive back Wednesday so he could spend a little time recovering at his mom's house. The only reason I was reluctant to go was because I always get completely de-railed on my workouts and eating when I travel. I just stop working out and eat all kinds of crap because I'm thinking "hey, it's a vacation! I don't want to worry about this stuff!". This time I was worried because I'm still at the beginning of the challenge and I didn't want to lose all my motivation.

I was so determined to make this work that I packed the portable DVD player, all my workout gear, and a week's supply of Shakeology. I got my workout done on Sunday before we left, so that one was out of the way. Monday and Tuesday, I managed to get my workouts done before noon, which (you might have guessed by now) is pretty unusual for me. I was thinking it would be hard for me to get any work done with Jon somewhat out of commission for a couple of days, but as fate would have it, things went a little differently.

Monday morning, I was sitting at home feeding Calista and hanging out with Tori, and Jon was on his way to his appointment. There was not a care in the world (except maybe for Jon, who was about to be in a world of hurt). Then Jon called to tell me he had been in a car accident. No one was injured, but apparently some guy ran a red light and Jon hit him in the intersection. Our car was totaled. Jon was able to drive it home, but the bumper was in the back seat and the headlights were dangling from the front of the car. Neither one of us was totally upset about it. It was an old car that was having troubles and was going to have to be repaired soon anyway. I mean, it's never fun to have your car get in an accident and meet with total destruction, but since Jon wasn't hurt, I just couldn't bring myself to make a huge deal out of it.


(Thanks for the picture, Dave.)


I don't want to bore you with the details of all the stuff that happened with the guy's insurance company and our insurance company. This blog is about my healthy lifestyle, not my car insurance. But I will say that everything is being settled nicely, and we're actually coming out on top here. So that's good! Anyway, my workouts...

On Monday after Jon got home, he took over the kids and I got to get my workout done before lunchtime. Then we went out to lunch with a friend of mine for her birthday. I made the healthiest choice possible (a seafood soup) and then had the leftovers for dinner. Tuesday was pretty much the same - workout before lunch, then lunch with a friend. We went to lunch at Red Robin, which is an amazing, delicious burger place with bottomless fries. I had a salad. I thought they still had their salmon burger, which is really, really good, but I guess it's not on the menu anymore. I was so sad. But the salad I had was also good. Possibly not the healthiest, since it was coated in ranch dressing. I should've gotten the dressing on the side, but this is still a learning process, so now I know for next time.

Tuesday night was my niece's 6th birthday, and we all went out for ice cream. (If you're ever in Albuquerque, go to I Scream Ice Cream...seriously, that place is the coolest ice cream shop EVER. And the owner is super nice, as an ice cream shop owner should be.) I got a frozen banana. Yeah, it was covered in chocolate, but at least I didn't order a double scoop cone covered in sprinkles like I normally would have. And frozen bananas, by the way, are freaking amazing! They taste remarkably like real ice cream. (There's actually a recipe for frozen banana "ice cream". I'll share it here.) I feel like I made healthier choices than I ever have before when I have traveled, so I'm proud of myself for that. I know there's definitely a lot of room for improvement, but I'm still doing better than I've ever been.

It's good to know that I have the willpower to stick with my workouts and mostly clean eating while I'm away from home. I'm going to be traveling a lot in these next few months, and it's nice to have confidence in my healthy lifestyle. This isn't just an at-home thing! I have to do this all the time, or the work I do at home will go to waste. (Or go to waist...haha...)


No comments:

Post a Comment